Interesting facts from the Snapchat IPO filing
- Snap Inc. is a camera company.
- Users: 158m daily active users, grew 7% last quarter (Instagram has about 400m DAU).
- Users older than 25 visit Snapchat approximately 12 times per day, on average about 20 minutes each day. Users younger than 25 visited Snapchat over 20 times and spent over 30 minutes on Snapchat every day.
- Computing Costs: Currently spending $400m per year on storage, computing and bandwith ($0.21 at 158 million daily users).
- Expected valuation of about $25B.
- Security for Evan Spiegel (co-founder of the company) cost $890,339 in 2016.
- Revenue jumped from $58.6m in 2015 to $404.5m in 2016. Net loss has risen from $373m to $514.6m.
- First company to trade only non-voring stock on an initial public offering.
- The two Co-founders still have 21.8% stock in the company each.
- Grew by 3.4 employees per day last year.
Competition: lots and everywhere
We face significant competition in almost every aspect of our business both domestically and internationally. This includes larger, more established companies such as Apple, Facebook (including Instagram and WhatsApp), Google (including YouTube), Twitter, Kakao, LINE, Naver (including Snow), and Tencent, which provide their users with a variety of products, services, content, and online advertising offerings, and smaller companies that offer products and services that may compete with specific Snapchat features.
Planning to spend $2 billion with Google Cloud over the next five years!
“We have committed to spend $2 billion with Google Cloud over the next five years and have built our software and computer systems to use computing, storage capabilities, bandwidth, and other services provided by Google, some of which do not have an alternative in the market.”
- This move also arguably gives Google a stake in Snapchat’s growth and success.
- Snapchat is likely integrating Google’s state of the art Vision/Speech API and other advanced Google Cloud services.
There is a good discussion over at Hacker News.
Let me know if you have feedback or other interesting facts! @metachris